Monday, April 14, 2014

Marriage Monday: Our Song.

After reading Mandi's post on this topic (thanks to link ups with NFP & Me and Camp Patton), I thought it'd be a perfect opportunity to reminisce.

When Tony & I started dating, a special song for us was "Hanging by a Moment" by Lifehouse.  It was popular at the time and a feel-good, loving song and we just mutually agreed on it as our song!


 I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held on to
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you
I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and not quite sure where to go
And I don't know what I'm diving into
Just hanging by a moment here with you

 And a little while later, at prom, our first dance together was "Only God Knows Why" by Kid Rock.  Not exactly ideal or extremely romantic in the usual sense, but it was definitely popular at the time.  And I love that it has a funny story attached to it!


And when your walls come tumbling down
I will always be around


We almost ALWAYS get it mixed up with "Picture" by Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow.  "Picture" will come on and I'll say "Awww... it's the first song we danced to!" and for the first half of the song we are being all googly-eyed and sweet and then EVERY TIME one of us realize "WOOPS! Wrong song!!"


I found your picture today
I swear I'll change my ways
I just called to say I want you to come back home
I just called to say, I love you come back home 
When our wedding was fast approaching, picking all the right music was so fun and important to us!  Like so many women, I wrote out an entire list of possible songs - songs that either one of us loved, both of us loved, meaningful songs to us, notorious love songs, etc. and went over and over the list.  You know when it was so awesome to make mix tapes (well, CDs...) for the people you love?  Well, Tony got MANY CDs from me over the years and every so often he would make one for me and I can tell you they meant so much to me.  This song ended up on one of them and ever since it has been special to us.  So when it came to picking our first song we wanted something that meant a lot to us and hadn't been OVERLY used.  It was perfect for us.

However far away, I will always love you
However long I stay, I will always love you
Whatever words I say, I will always love you
I will always love you


I love all of our songs, the various meanings and memories they hold for us, and feel like it makes one heck of a balanced playlist.  I still get the same butterflies in my stomach when I hear "Hanging by a Moment" as I did ten years ago and I literally can feel my brain being transported back in time.  And just a few weeks ago I played "Love Song" by 311 on the Jukebox at dinner... it still feels just as special as it did three years ago.  (Now if I could've only talked Tony into dancing with me at the restaurant!!!!  Next time, for sure.)

It makes me curious - what are some of the songs that have meant a lot to you and your significant other over the years?  And how did they come to be special to you?





No comments:

Post a Comment