Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Books.

I've been reading a lot more lately and I just really, really enjoy reading.  More than that, I enjoy a great story that you can really sink your teeth into - something with substance and something that stays with you in your mind long after you finish.

I read the Fifty Shades of Grey books in a week and I just couldn't put them down.  Following that I read "Water for Elephants" and it was even better than the movie (which I completely loved).  Now I am reading Stephenie Meyer's "The Host."  And while I like ANY great story, I have to say I tend to favor book series rather than a standalone book.  It allows for you to enter into a realm and stay a little while to get to know the place rather than pop in for a quick visit.  I love being able to dwell on the same characters and get to know and spend time with them.

After reading such fantastic series (Twilight, the Hunger Games, Divergent, 50 Shades, Harry Potter... etc...) it has really made me stop and wonder what I hold in my own brain.  I have an imagination and I love a great, unique story - so what exactly is stopping me from writing one of my own?  I have to think I am lacking inspiration?  Or time/dedication?  I know I'm not lacking the aptitude... but maybe I am lacking the knowledge of the structure of a novel?  Because really, I have so much to learn when it comes to actually writing a book.  But I guess you have to walk before you can run - what I want more than anything is to come up with the basic story... even the IDEA of a story... and if it's good enough then I will figure the rest out.

Basically, what I mean to say with all of this is that someday when I have the time to dedicate to a project as huge as this - it would be a dream come true to write my own book series.  It's intimidating to even write that dream into words and to accept that is what I want for myself at some point in my life.  I just hope from now until then (whenever "THEN" is...) that something comes to me that I feel so passionately about.

And until "then" I plan to keep reading and hoping and waiting and coming to terms with what I can do to help check this off my bucket list.  Which leads me to ask - what are your favorite books?  I've got a long list of books I'd like to read and I always love adding to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment